Currently Loving: Meghan Trainor's 'Title'

Monday 10 November 2014

There are very few people out there who like Mondays. Mondays mark the beginning of the work week, the school week, or basically a new week where you have to get a bunch things done. Amongst the things that can give you a much-needed jump-start to the week is a good, upbeat jam to dance around the bathroom in your underwear to so that Monday doesn't seem too gloomy. Meghan Trainor's debut  EP 'Title' gives you just that. 


All About That Bass


"If you got beauty, beauty, just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top"

When Meghan's hit-debut 'All About That Bass' was climbing the charts I kept a wary distance, until one day last month I was introduced to it through a random playlist, and I haven't looked back since. I have a definite 'Easy A' Pocket Full of Sunshine relationship except that with this song I'm telling the shower head that 'I'm bringing booty back. Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that'. Whilst the lyrics aren't perhaps as all-inclusive in their empowerment, the song is certainly catchy, fun and I dare you not to shake your thang all over your bedroom whilst singing this at the top of your lungs (room mates and neighbours be damned). I dare you. 

Title


"I know you think I'm cool
But I ain't one of the boys
No, don't be scared that I'm gon' tie you down
 I need a little more"

This is a perfect song for today's dating scene where casual is the norm, and putting the label of 'boyfriend/girlfriend' is explained away as something archaic and that adds pressure to the relationship from boys who just want to have a good time (but they're not going to come out and just tell you that in case that puts you off them). Meghan puts an end to that in this song announcing 'Better give me that title' especially 'if you want these sweet like sugar Gucci lips/ he gotta give it up'. I think sometimes we just need a reminder that it's perfectly okay to want a relationship from guys, and once we know what we want, to hold true to that and demand it. 

Dear Future Husband

"Dear future husband, here's a few things
You'll need to know if you wanna be
My one and only all my life"

Continuing the trend of knowing exactly what you want and demanding for it, 'Dear Future Husband' is a list of things that a future husband needs to take note of in order to have 'a perfect wife'. It's a bit of fun, and the doo-wop elements will have you tapping your foot as you nod your head to points you agree with Meghan on: 'You gotta know how to treat me like a lady/Even when I'm acting crazy/Tell me everything's alright' Are you listening future husband? 

Close Your Eyes


"I guess I could waste all my time and my money just trying to look right
But it doesn't change who I am in my heart if I look like a dime"

A pop album wouldn't be complete without a ballad, and 'Close Your Eyes' is a lovely song about keeping true to yourself and showing the world that you're beautiful as you are. It's soulful whilst maintaining the Trainor edge consistent throughout the whole album.


Highly recommend for: Monday morning pep, shower singing and for those post-break up or boy-trouble blues. Also good for pretending you're in a modern '50s dinner sharing a shake with your girls whilst tapping your foot along and swinging your ponytail to 2014 doo-wop feels.


Do you like Meghan Trainor? What's your current singing-in-the-shower-at-the-top-of-my-lungs song?

No comments:

Post a Comment