Dear Diary | How I'm journalling this year

Sunday 25 January 2015

I've always loved diaries. I never quite managed to write in them consistently, but throughout my teenage years, every year I bought a new blank notebook to regularly scribble down my thoughts about my day, the things that were bothering me and to contemplate the likelihood of the boy on the bus I had a crush on knowing my existence and one day acknowledging it. As I grew older, and the academic deadlines increased, I felt like I just didn't have time to journal, though I would always end up finding some sort of outlet for my thoughts. In short, keeping some sort of diary or journal has always been, and I suspect will always be, important to me.

This year, I'm using these two beautiful goodies from kikki.K: the Reflection Journal and the 365 Days Journal. At the end of each day, usually a little later than I'd like (though I'm working on this) I sit down and write in these two. At the beginning, I thought that I wouldn't have time to keep up two journals, but it usually takes me about 30 minutes, and they serve two different purposes.

The Reflection Journal  allows me to just do that - to reflect on the day by filling out a premade form that allows me to note what I am grateful for, the highlight of the day, the overall feeling of the day and what kind of moments I experienced, to determine what area of my life my actions impacted on and to jot down what I learnt from the day. I really like that there's only room for one or two sentences, especially on days when I feel didn't go particularly well; since I only need to write one thing, I can usually find it, and makes me realise that even on the worst of days, there's something good in it. I find that it's a great way to stay mindful of the present and grateful for what you have, whilst also being able to see areas that you can improve in a positive light.


The 365 Day Journal I use to expand on the day, or how I'm feeling. I initially wanted to use it as a sort of scrapbook, collecting bits and pieces from my day but realised that this wasn't feasible for every day, so I just keep it as a daily journal for my thoughts. I don't always journal every day, but since I'm used to skipping entire months in diaries I've previously kept, I don't worry about skipping a few days: I just fill them in with quotes, song lyrics and wishlists. 

What's most important to me this year is doing journaly consistently as I've noticed that staying mindful and also dumping all my thoughts on a page before I go to bed really helps to keep my mind clear and just that little more positive. 

Do you journal?

12 comments:

  1. I love journalling, I really enjoy the whole process and it's a great chance to just write! I love the idea of your two seperate diaries, seems like a great way to really reflect and think!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earlier this month, journalling daily felt a bit like a chore since I was doing it even when I didn't feel like it, but now I'm beginning to really enjoy the process and the routine of it x

      Delete
  2. I love journalling, I really enjoy the whole process and it's a great chance to just write! I love the idea of your two seperate diaries, seems like a great way to really reflect and think!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of journalling, but I too have always found that I tend to skip several months at a time. The Reflection Journal sounds like it could help in this situation, so I am excited to look into it a little more! Thank you for sharing x
    Angelina | The Peony Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think the Reflection Journal helps to keep it daily because it takes so little time, and it's a great way to wind down before you go to bed instead of scrolling through social meia (which is what I tend to do!) x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm back! Just to let you know I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, here's the link: http://www.hanniemc.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award.html Hope you have a great day!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the idea of journalling but i normally think about it way too late in the year! Maybe i will be able to catch up... absolutely love the look of the reflection journal! xx
    emilyjanewebb.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of the reflection journal is that its undated so you can start anytime! And the 365 days planner are great for challenges, and tbh your year can start anytime - who says it needs to start on January 1? ;) x

      Delete
  6. I had a lot of diaries growing up. I never seemed to complete them or fill them in consistently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, but that never stops me from getting new ones!

      Delete
  7. I really like that reflective journal! I've been trying to journal more this year.

    INSIDEsai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always trying to journal every year too. I personally like to have a few floating around, so that I can see which one I gravitate towards. I think I've only ever finished two journals in my life! x

      Delete