The problem with New Year's Resolutions.

Thursday 29 January 2015


New Year's Resolutions: we all make them at one time or another, very few of us continue them throughout the whole year to reach December 31st thinking "I'm sure glad I stuck to those resolutions!" Most of us are usually trying to figure out how the next time around we're going to make it work. Except that it's not going to work the next time around, not unless you figure out what's not working. 

The problem with New Year's Resolutions is that New Year's Resolutions are only intentions. 

When we say "I want to be healthy" or "I want to work out more" or "I want to be more productive this year" all we're actually doing is setting an intention. That's what we're hoping to gain from the year - and then what? Intentions are great as they orient you in the general direction of where you want to go, but setting this intention doesn't tell you how to get there. Saying "I want to eat less chocolate" and not saying how much less you want to eat, why and how you're going to do that is the equivalent of standing in your bedroom and saying "I want to go to Cannes." That's very nice, but how exactly do you plan on getting there? And actually, why do you want to go to Cannes?

When we make our New Year's Resolutions, we often forget to clarify why we're making the resolutions - what is your overall intention of the year? 

I've read articles that argue that resolutions don't work because we set too many - I'd argue they don't work because they're not tied together with a common purpose. For example, if your overall intention for the year is to graduate in the summer with honours and spend the rest of the year interning in preparation for landing your dream job, your resolutions will be something along the line of:

  • I want to study regularly and get started on my assignments ahead of time
  • I want to be healthy so that I never miss a day of classes or work when I'm interning
  • I want to work out more so I look good and feel comfortable and confident on graduation day and in office clothes

Alternatively, you can set a word for the year that will shape your year. My word for the year is "persistence" so I know that I need to be persistent in everything I choose to do and see it to the end, but this is very little use to me unless I have goals I want to achieve. 

Most New Year's Resolutions also fail because they're never turned into goals. 

Once you've set your New Year's Resolutions - your specific intentions which contribute to your overall intention for the year - it's time to turn them into goals. This is where that little S.M.A.R.T. acronym comes in helpful, because once you have your resolution, which is your intention, you have to turn it into something that is Specific - Measurable - Attainable - Relevant - Time-specific. For example the intention "I want to work out more" becomes "I want to practice 20 minutes of yoga on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays until the 31 March".

Now you have a specific goal and a date in mind that you can thrive towards. I personally prefer to break down my goals into three months chunks, especially as my theme is persistence, because thinking about putting in work every day for 90 or so days feels a lot less overwhelming than thinking about the 300+ days still to go until the new year. It also gives me a date at which I can review what I've done and decide what's working, what isn't and what I can do to stay on track for the next three months. 

So if you're struggling with New Year's Resolutions, double-check that:

  • you know what your overall intention for the year is;
  • that your resolutions/intentions are orientated towards this overall aim;
  • and that you've set S.M.A.R.T. goals towards achieving them. 

Do you set New Year's Resolutions for yourself? What is one challenge you're facing in sticking to them?

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting take on resolutions, I like the idea of setting a word to stick to! I'm definitely too vague when I make resolutions so I haven't made any this year, I instead hope to work towards any goals I have by taking the steps that feel natural to me!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting take on resolutions, I like the idea of setting a word to stick to! I'm definitely too vague when I make resolutions so I haven't made any this year, I instead hope to work towards any goals I have by taking the steps that feel natural to me!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of the time we just need to listen to what works best for us and what comes naturally - and resolutions just aren't for everyone! Hope you achieve all your goals :) x

      Delete
  3. You make great points and I completely agree on setting clearer and more specific goals! I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions as they hold less weight than if I would make a solid goal out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i'm quite a dreamer so I prefer painting the bigger picture before making more specific goals that will allow me to get to my dreams :) x

    ReplyDelete