Whole Lotta Chubby | Clinique Chubby Stick Intense Lip Balm Gift Set

Friday 23 January 2015


When my sister asked me what I wanted for Christmas, as you can expect, I responded with a long list of beauty products, and on this list was the Clinique Whole Lotta Chubby Gift Set, comprising of four shades from the Clinique Chubby Stick Intense Moisturising Lip Colour Balm range . The Clinique Chubby sticks are a range that I've heard so much about in the beauty world so I was really happy to finally be able to try them out.

Inside a pink and silver little make up bag, the gift set came with the shades: 06 woppin' watermelon, 15 pudgy peony, 05 plushest punch and 08 grandest grape. 'Woppin' watermelon' and 'pudgy peony' are two similar pretty pinks, but woppin' watermelon is quite a pale pink that is quite cool, looking almost grey on my skintone. I was also quite surprised to find the similarity between 'grandest grape' and 'plushest punch' when I swatched them, but obviously one has pink undertones and the other has purple undertones. 



I've been trying to find ways to wear these lipbalms for a couple of weeks now, and honestly? I think they're just not for me. The Clinique website allows you to compare the original Chubby Stick lipbalms with the Chubby Stick Intense, which are the ones that I have, and I think I would have been more suited to the originals. The Chubby Stick Intense promises: 'vibrant shades' and 'moderate-to-full colour coverage', which are things that I tend not to like on my lips. I often feel like bright colours look odd on me, so bright, lipbalms are not really up my street.

I also tend to have chapped lips during the winter months, and this product unfortunately does that wonderful thing of highlighting any dry parts on your lips without really doing anything for them...? It's even worse if like me you have pigmented lips, so that the colour really pops on any uneven parts of the skintone. Another thing is that the Chubby Sticks are 100% fragrance free: this is great for allergies, but bad for the smell of the actual product, which I am most definitely not a fan of. If there was ever a 'raw lipbalm' scent, this would it. 

I'm quite disappointed that these Chubby Stick Intense lipbalms didn't mark the start of a great love affair with Clinique Chubby Sticks but  I'm still holding out hope for the originals!

Have you tried out the Clinique Chubby Stick Intense range? The original range? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. That sucks that they didn't meet your expectations! I haven't had too much luck with Clinique products. I love the Dramatically Different moisturizing gel but I haven't had too much excitement with their makeup. Thanks so much for your comment on my post! It's awesome that we agree. I am also learning that liking things that are "girly" is fine. Oh how the world works!

    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like Clinique is one of those brands I really want to like since they're such a "staple brand" that so many people seem to love, but I've not yet had much luck with it. And no problem! It's always great finding feminists that you're on the same wavelength with (because as we all know, contrary to popular belief, there isn't a 'one size fits all' feminist) :) x

      Delete